Tuesday, March 22, 2011

DAY 81 -- Making jam.

Today my niece (the one who is a health guru to me...that I mentioned in a previous post) came to my place and we made strawberry freezer jam using very little sugar.  We tried three different recipes.  One batch used 3/4 cup of 100% apple juice, one batch used 1/2 cup of 100% white grape/raspberry juice concentrate, and one batch used 1/2 cup of honey.  Each batch made nearly 6 pints of jam...so what little bit of added "sweet" is divided by that amount.  Not too bad when compared to most jam recipes that call for 3-4 cups of sugar!!

The last batch I mentioned...the one with 1/2 cup honey...was an interesting recipe I found on-line for Balsamic vinegar/strawberry jam.  Sounds strange, but it's delicious!  I think it will be my favorite.

I also bought a couple kinds of organic bread for us to try out... so tonight my husband and I will need to have a bread and jam tasting session!  =D  (I'm sure he won't mind!)

NOTE:   I want to clarify that jam...even my homemade low sugar jam...is high in sugar content because of the fruit and juice concentrate, etc., so I use it very sparingly.  As a sugar addict, I don't want to have anything sweet on a regular basis or it makes me want more and more and more.  For that reason, I limit my jam use and have it only about once a week (if that) and I use it in place of a fruit serving.  For instance, normally for breakfast I have some protein (maybe an egg or cottage cheese), and grain (maybe wheat cereal, oatmeal, or whole grain toast) and a small piece of fruit (half a banana, half of a grapefruit, a small amount of peaches in natural juice, for instance).  So, if I decide to add jam, I might just have an egg, a piece of toast, and jam.  No additional fruit for that meal.  Again...this is because of my addiction, not because of calories or portions or whatever.  I don't want sweets to rule my life again like it did years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment