Sunday, November 6, 2011

DAY 310 -- Still not ready to be a locavore.

My husband asked if I thought I could become a locavore (someone who eats only foods grown locally).  I posted about that earlier in the year (click here).

Although I can definitely see the benefits of supporting local farms, I cannot (yet) see myself at that point exclusively.  I mentioned in my other post that I would feel limited in the vegetables I could eat in the winter, but there are many fruits I enjoy that are not grown in Utah during any growing season, like oranges, bananas, kiwi, pineapple.  I love variety.

So, I try to support the local farmers as much as possible, but I'm still not ready to become a true locavore.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I think God made all those wonderful foods available to us in this day and age, and it's a miracle we should appreciate.

    I had fresh papaya for the first time the other day...delicious!

    I did chuckle a bit at your list of fruits...all but oranges are on my food sensitivity list. However, there are so many other things I can eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lynn, you are sensitive to a lot of foods! But you are right... there are still lots of other things you can eat, and it sounds like (from your blog) you are having success in finding delicious ways to prepare your meals. Are you feeling different (better) since avoiding the foods you are sensitive to?

    ReplyDelete