Tuesday, March 29, 2011

DAY 88 -- Thoughts on eating local.

I attended a class on eating local foods, meaning...eating foods that are grown or raised within a 100 mile radius.  I agreed with the concept of eating local, and my husband and I already started purchasing local meats even before attending this class, but I'm not sure I am ready to go that route 100%.  There are benefits to eating that way: 

  • it supports local farmers/ranchers
  • it cuts down on shipping which uses less fuel
  • the foods are usually tasty and fresh
  • it can help build a strong community
There are two aspects I struggle with:
  • I don't want to support a product that is not quality.  For instance, I tried some honey that was from a local bee-keeper and it was awful.  It doesn't even melt in hot liquid, but balls up in a clump.  So if I have to purchase honey from outside the state to get quality, I will!
  • I am still struggling with the "eat produce in season" concept.  I know it is a healthy route to take, but I don't know if I am ready to have limitations on what salad greens are available in the winter, etc.  I think I might get tired of eating winter vegetables.
During the class, however, the instructor brought a tossed salad made from local fresh in-season greens, and it was delicious.  So I am willing to check out the resources she provided, and do my best to find products I will be happy with.  It will be like a scavenger hunt!  And I hope to learn more about the people and community where we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment