Thursday, August 11, 2011

DAY 223 -- Kale, another leafy green.

When I make tossed salads, I like to mix 2-3 leafy greens, such as leafy green lettuce, romaine lettuce, and spinach.  Upon the recommendation of my niece (the health guru I've mentioned in previous posts), now I've started adding kale to my salads.  

Image from Wikipedia Commons
Kale has a bit of a strong flavor, so at first (after cutting away the hard spine) I tore the leaf  and put it in my herb mill, chopping the kale up real fine, and sprinkling it over the salad like an herb.  But now I have moved on to just cutting it up small before adding it.  I put about 1/3 of a large leaf in one serving of salad.  


Curious about the new salad addition, I looked it up on Wikipedia and learned that kale belongs to the cabbage family, and that it is considered "the most nutritious vegetable in the world."  It has "extremely powerful antioxidant" and "potent anti-cancer" properties.  (To learn more, click here.)


Wow!  Good stuff!  I will continue to use it, maybe even more abundantly on my salads.  (I also learned that it tastes sweeter after freezing, so I might try that.) 


So here's to adding kale for good health!  Or, to play on some puns, how about, "It's good for what kales ya." Or... "What doesn't kale us makes us stronger."  


Okay, I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment