Friday, June 29, 2012

Delicious Recipe

My husband is not a fan of Brussels sprouts, but the first time I prepared this, he told me, "This is a must-have-again!"  So don't let that ingredient scare you off.


Cannellini with Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Sausage

Makes: 4 servings

Time: 20 minutes with cooked or canned beans

3 Tbs. olive oil [I think I used 2 Tbs the last time I made it, and it was plenty.]
8 ounces Italian sausage, casings removed [I used “natural” ground Italian sausage, without growth hormones, etc.]
2 Tbs. minced garlic
Red chile flakes, to taste
Salt and black pepper
1 pound Brussels sprouts, shredded in a food process or roughly chopped [I found that we  prefer it roughly chopped]
½ cup white wine or water [I used chicken bouillon]
2 cups cooked or canned cannelloni [white kidney] beans, drained [I think white northern beans would also taste great]

1. Put the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  When it’s hot, crumble the sausage into the pan and cook, stirring occasionally to break the meat into relatively small bits, until browned, 5 to 10 minutes.  Add the garlic and chile flakes and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Cook and stir for another minute or so.

2. Add the Brussels sprouts and wine [water or bouillon] to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until the sprouts are tender but still a bit crunchy, 5 to 10 minutes.

3.  Add the beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are heated through, just a minute or two.  Taste and adjust the seasoning.  Serve over cooked grains (rice, bulgur, cracked wheat), or toasted bread.


(From The Food Matters Cookbook, p. 394)

No comments:

Post a Comment