Saturday, October 22, 2011

DAY 295 -- Raw Milk

I bought raw milk from a local farm.  The owners invited me to try a sample before purchasing it, so I poured some into a paper cup and drank.  Well... you know those commercials where someone bites into something and they are "transported" to another location?  That's what happened to me.  I tasted that raw milk and instantly felt transported to the kitchen table in Idaho where I sat as a youngster drinking cow's milk ladled from a huge gallon glass jar.  I pictured my mom ladling the cream off the top before dipping the milk out to fill my glass; then placing a sheet of wax paper over the opening of the huge jar before screwing on the lid.

The raw milk I purchased today came in a plastic jug, but in my heart the milk resides in a large glass jar, and I long to sit at a chrome table with formica top.

2 comments:

  1. oh wow! My mom put milk in gallon glass jars too. I remember Grandpa coming up from the pasture with a bucket full of warm foamy milk. He could milk so fast!

    Those were the days, some happy memories of childhood, holding the strainer over the jar for him, then getting a drink of warm milk.

    Later I became the cow milker. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the foam! And it was always cold by the time I got to the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn... what fun memories! (I never got the hang of milking. My hat's off to you for being able to.)

    ReplyDelete