Monday, June 27, 2011

DAY 178 -- Herb mill.

I mentioned in a previous post that I am growing some of my own herbs.  I have three plants that I bought from Sunflower Market, and they seem to be thriving even after I re-potted them. They are sage, oregano, and parsley.  Then I recently planted some seeds for dill, and for basil.  It's too soon to tell if they will survive my lack of horticulture skills.

To help use my fresh herbs, I purchased a really nifty herb mill.  I used it for the first time yesterday, adding my homegrown oregano to our pasta dish.  It worked great!!  Earlier in the week I added fresh parsley to a recipe, but had to use scissors to cut it up since my mill had not arrived.  (Of course, it came in the mail later that same day.  Oh well!)  What a difference using the mill compared to the scissors!

(Image used by permission)
Here's a link for the Microplane Herb Mill.  (This is not an advertisement for them, I just like their product and wanted to tell about it.)

I learned that the finer chopped the herbs the stronger the flavor since the flavor is released from the exposed cut area.  

With my mill instructions it suggests,  "To learn more about how each herb tastes, try mixing one with margarine or butter and let it sit for at least an hour.  Then spread on a plain cracker."   That sounds so good, I'm going to go try that now!



No comments:

Post a Comment