Tuesday, June 21, 2011

DAY 172 -- Trying a bizarre recipe.

I like trying new recipes and for tonight's meal I prepared "Groundnut Stew" (slow-cooker recipe) that had a rather bizarre combination of ingredients...

  • green pepper
  • onion
  • tomato paste
  • peanut butter (I used all natural PB with no sugar)
  • chicken broth
  • salt 
  • chili powder
  • nutmeg
  • chicken
Served over rice.

Then, topped with any of the following:  (or all, I assume, if one is really daring)

  • coconut (I used unsweetened)
  • peanuts
  • raisins
  • hard-boiled eggs, chopped
  • bananas, chopped
  • oranges, cut up
  • eggplant, chopped
  • apples, chopped
  • tomatoes, chopped
  • carrots, shredded
  • green pepper, chopped
  • onion, chopped
  • pineapple, crushed

When I saw the recipe, it reminded me of Hawaiian Haystacks, which I love, so I thought I would give it a try.  The toppings I selected for my serving were unsweetened coconut, peanuts, raisins, orange segments, tomatoes, and carrots.

The verdict: Deee-lish-e-ush!  My husband and I both liked it enough to dub the recipe a "must have again!"  We have leftovers for tomorrow and I might select different toppings this time to see how it compares to the selections I had tonight.

Here's the recipe if you would like to try it yourself!  Groundnut Stew

No comments:

Post a Comment