Tuesday, February 22, 2011

DAY 53 -- When offered sweets...

When I am offered sweets I am never quite sure how to respond (even after all these years).  Whenever I respond with, "No thanks, I can't eat sugar," then they ask if I am diabetic and I have to explain "no, I am a sugar addict" which leads to a huge discussion which I don't always have time to get into.  (If you want to know more about this, see the My Story page.)

But if I respond with, "No thanks, I don't eat sugar," then it sounds like I am uppety and better-than-thou.  

When I respond with a simple, "No, thank you."  Then the offerer usually tries to press, "Oh come on, take one...." or they berate themselves because they don't have that kind of "will power" and so forth.  

I always appreciate it when I go to a meeting or whatever and the treats are just out on a table for those who want them... rather than having someone serving and asking if I want any.

And I especially appreciate when people offer additional choices that are not full of refined sugar, like fresh fruit, or chips and salsa.

My husband, a diabetic, enjoys making people squirm.  When offered treats he responds with, "What are you trying to do, kill me?"  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment