Friday, May 25, 2012

New blender.

Today I wanted to make more muffins but realized, Oh yeah.  We're out of flour.  Yesterday's baking depleted what little bit of flour I had.  I didn't want to make a trip to the store (ugh) so I figured I might have to wait until tomorrow to bake.  Then my brilliant (although typically absent) mind kicked in.

Use the new blender!

Our old blender went on the fritz a couple months ago, so we replaced it with a Blendtec.  As we debated the purchase (pricey, even on sale at Costco), the deciding factor was that the Blendtec can also grind grains (wheat, rice, barley...) into flour...even into fine pastry flour if I desire.  I've needed a grain grinder for a long time; we have lots of wheat stored but no decent way to grind it.  Our old blender could crack wheat, or roughly grind flaxseed, but could not handle grinding anything into flour.  I planned on getting a grinder attachment for my Kitchenaid (at the tune of $150) but kept putting it off.

So, with the reasoning that the Blendtec can blend plus grind (and even make hot soup!), we forked over the dough.

Today was the maiden voyage for grinding wheat into flour and it worked great!  I made three batches of muffins.

1 comment:

  1. It's a good idea; I have a wheat grinder but I don't know if there is any way to make sure there's no gluten left inside. Maybe I should sell it and get the blender.

    ReplyDelete