Monday, April 16, 2012

Hungry enough to eat...

I keep thinking about a quote I saw in a magazine:  If you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple, you aren't hungry!


When I was a child, my mom used to tire of my hunger whining.

"I'm huuuungry."
"Would you like an apple?"
"No."
"Would you like a banana?"
"No."
"Would you like... (insert any healthy food)?"
"Noooo."
"Then you must not be very hungry."

I was hungry for junk, which in reality translates to not being hungry.

Now I'm all grown up (and trying not to grow out) and realize I still struggle with distinguishing between junk hunger and real hunger, but because I enjoy healthy foods I can't test my hunger with an apple.  I would eat an apple whether truly hungry or not!  In fact, I couldn't think of any food to substitute in the quote, so I decided on this qualifier:

If I'm not hungry enough to eat at the table, I'm not hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment