Sunday, January 22, 2012

Homemade Tomato Soup

I haven't found a canned tomato soup without added sweetener. Even the canned organic soups have organic sugar or syrups added.  Organic or not, I don't want the added sugar!!

So... I finally decided to just make my own.  Not sure why it took me so long to reach that conclusion... perhaps I fell for the myth that tomato soup required sweetener, since I could not find any without.

I pulled out my trusty cookbook and laughed out loud when the recipe for tomato soup called for (get this) canned tomato soup.  Uhhh...what't the point of homemade soup using the canned stuff?  I shook my head and shut the book.

I got on-line and checked several recipes, but I lacked some of the ingredients for them.

I decided to just 'wing it' and use a combination of ideas from the recipes I browsed.  Here's what I did:

I chopped up some onion and a clove of garlic, then sauteed them in olive oil.  Next I added 1 can of organic diced tomato and 1 cup of chicken bouillon.  Then some salt, pepper, and a dash of dried thyme. (I did not want to make a large batch since I wasn't sure if it would taste good... so I measured by guess and by golly to make enough for two servings.) 

I let those ingredients simmer for about 20 minutes, then pureed it in the blender.  Just for kicks and giggles, I added a spoonful of sour cream while it blended (next time, though, I will use some regular cream).

It turned out delicious!  Now I hope I can duplicate it the next time I'm hankering for tomato soup!




1 comment: