Sunday, May 22, 2011

DAY 142 -- Elk meat.

Today we tried a different meat ... elk.  One of my brothers goes hunting each year, and when we visited him last month he gave us a few steaks to try.  We cooked the elk tenderloin steaks today (we'll have the venison -- deer meat -- another time.)

I grew up on wild game, mainly deer, but it's been years since I've eaten any and I'm not sure if I ever had elk.  I probably did, but I just can't remember.  However, I've never cooked it before, that's for certain.

I followed my brother's instructions, and soaked the steaks in milk first to remove the "gamey" flavor.  Then I rubbed the steaks down with salt and pepper and fried them.  

The result: a pleasant taste... a little different, but pleasant.  I have to admit I was a bit worried, since I couldn't remember for sure if I'd eaten elk before.  I do remember eating caribou one time and I definitely did not like it.  So I'm glad the elk meat was a pleasant experience.  Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment