Friday, May 13, 2011

DAY 132 -- Extremes?

I learned a young friend of mine decided to go on the HCG diet to "get a jump start" in losing weight.  I feel sad for her decision.  It seems so extreme to me.  Once again I shake my head in wonderment over why she can choose to go to such an unhealthy extreme such as the HCG diet (eating 500 calories a day and receiving injections) because she considers eating healthy (avoiding processed foods and eating more veggies, fruit, and whole grains) to be too extreme.  I don't understand.

I told her that my husband (a healthcare provider) says that the HCG diet is unhealthy and dangerous, but she says her doctor told her it is safe (and sadly, many do).  Is this the same doctor that will bill her for the injections and profit from her treatments?  Probably.  And remember all the doctors that prescribed phen phen, and considered it safe?

Don't get me wrong, I can relate to how she feels.  I used to feel that desperate years ago, in fact, I was one of those that lined up for phen phen.  Thankfully, I did not follow through with the prescription.  I can't recall why I stopped, but I'm so grateful l I did!

I feel sad for her because of her desperation and inability to see beyond the "magic" fix, but when I was her age I was caught up in the same helpless philosophy--that I could not do it on my own, and certainly could not give up sugar!  Or so I thought.  How I wish with all my heart that I could go back to my younger self and teach myself to eat healthy.  I think of the years wasted before I finally woke up.

Maybe that's why her decision saddens me...because I can't go back to my younger self, and I can't even convince my younger friend that there is a better path.

No comments:

Post a Comment