Thursday, April 28, 2011

DAY 118 -- Chewing on a thought.

I watched and episode of "Addicted to Food" (Oprah Winfrey Network) last week and have chewed on a thought ever since.  As they worked with the patients, the therapist indicated that eating behaviors were evidence of their inner child acting out.  For instance, a bulimic woman refusing to eat (and crying because the staff wanted her to eat her measured portions) and a compulsive overeater crying because she thought the food tasted bland and the portions were too small.  The way the patients were portrayed in the show, their behavior really did come across as childish as they pouted and threw tantrums over food.


The therapist told them that healthy food choices are made by the adult inside, whereas the inner child is the one that demands more and more food (especially sweets) or even refuses to eat.  


Ever since watching that episode I've wondered about my own eating.  Is my desire to overeat stemming from my "inner child?"  Is it true that only the adult inside can make the healthy decisions?


Yesterday I had my feelings hurt, and I wanted to run to food for comfort, but I thought about the adult decision to eat healthy and the urge left me.  Hmmmm.  Interesting.


I would love to know what others think of this inner child vs. inner adult regarding food choices.



No comments:

Post a Comment