Saturday, April 23, 2011

DAY 113 -- Funeral and family.

Today was my brother's funeral.  One positive thing that comes from a funeral is the gathering of family, and sharing memories as well as grief.  We grabbed the opportunity to take pictures of cousins together, and brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles.  It makes one realize that we never know when someone will not be there for the next gathering.  And we also hope for a better excuse to gather.

As far as eating healthy... still struggling a bit with that.  Trying to eat healthy foods, but the draw to eat too much is strong.  I wonder why I feel so driven to seek food for comfort.  Is there a deeply hidden reason I do this, or is it just a learned behavior?

Anyone have insights on how they have handled grief/comfort/and food?

2 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss. I hope you do find ways to get together with family outside of funerals. That seems to be the only event the draws all my family together. Not sure why that is.

    Grief is an individual path. I worked for hospice in the past and I want to point you to some great links where you can read about grief.

    http://www.hospiceofyuma.com/links.html

    One suggestion I have would be to try to do a little walking when you can. Maybe just around the block ... it may clear your mind for a moment or two.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, thank you for the suggestions, and the link. I will definitely check that out. I also appreciated the reminder about exercise. I have neglected that for the past several days.

    ReplyDelete