Sunday, May 1, 2011

DAY 121 -- I love meatloaf.

I love meatloaf.  I can't remember a time, even as a child, that I did not like meatloaf.  


When I was very early pregnant with our first child, we took a vacation to Hawaii (knowing that once children arrived, we might never get there!), and while I was there I felt nauseated most of the time (the only time in either of my pregnancies where I felt sick) the heat and humidity added to my misery, not to mention the unfamiliar foods.  We went to a luau and I felt bad that I could not enjoy the food since I felt like I was going to loose my meal at any moment.  


What does that have to do with meatloaf?  Well, there was one day that the only thing that sounded good to me was a meatloaf sandwich.  We still chuckle about how we were in such a wonderful exotic place surrounded by luscious foods, but we wandered around Honolulu until we found a cafe that served a meatloaf sandwich.  (It was delicious by-the-way!)


My kids used to enjoy meatloaf also...until the saw the movie "A Christmas Story" where the youngest boy sits at the table whining about eating his meatloaf.  After that, my kids would not touch meatloaf.  (I think, however, that they finally outgrew that tendency.)


I make several versions of meatloaf, depending on what mood I am in, but my very favorite recipe for the dish is "Spanish Meatloaf" which contains green olives.  Oh my.  So yummy.  I prepared that for supper tonight and both my husband and I muttered "Mmm mmm mmm" in unison at our first bite.  Then burst out laughing.


Here's the recipe for Spanish Meatloaf.



No comments:

Post a Comment